Tuesday, April 23, 2024
a to z

   »   »   » Cholesterol Test (Lipid Profile)

Cholesterol Test (Lipid Profile)

A complete cholesterol level screening test (lipid profile or lipoprotein analysis) involves the measurement of the total cholesterol in the blood, High Density Lipoproteins (HDL, the good  cholesterol),  Low -Density Lipoproteins (LDL, the bad cholesterol) and Triglycerides, another type of blood fat. LDL cholesterol is calculated from the total cholesterol, HDL and triglyceride levels.

Cholesterol is a type of fat called a lipid, that the body uses to help build cells and produce certain hormones and bile salts. Cholesterol forms complexes with proteins in the blood to produce lipoproteins. Lipoproteins comes in two forms (1) High Density Lipoprotein (HDL); the good cholesterol with more protein than fat and (2) Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL); the bad cholesterol with more fat than protein. 

Normal range of cholesterol in the blood should be less than 200 milligrams per deciliter or mg/dl. High cholesterol of  240 mg/dl or greater in the blood increases the risk of heart disease, stroke, coronary artery disease etc. Abnormally low levels of cholesterol may indicate hyperthyroidism, or an overactive thyroid gland, liver disease, inadequate absorption of nutrients from the intestines and malnutrition.

Care before the procedure
Avoid solid foods or drinks except water for 9 to 12 hours before taking the blood sample for Lipoprotein analysis (total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, and triglyceride levels). 

How the test is done

Lipoprotein analysis or Lipid profile is normally performed on a blood sample taken from a vein. This procedure takes only a few minutes. The blood sample is collected in a syringe or vial and sent to the lab to be analyzed. Total cholesterol levels may also be measured from a finger-stick blood sample.

Age for Testing 
Adults 20 years or over should be routinely tested every five years for cholesterol, LDL, HDL and triglycerides. Children of parents with high cholesterol over 240mg/dl should be checked regularly after age 7.

Questions of
 Questions & Answers
 1.  Posted on : 9.1.2014  By  :  Soumyya Das , Kolkata View Answer (1) Post Answer

Cholecystectomy was done 2 years ago but looking bulky and over weight approx 87 kg triglycerides also increased what should I do?


Please refer to the following chart for ideal height and weight Calorie Needs https://www.webindia123.com/health/diet/calorie/calorie.htm , Weight Chart https://www.webindia123.com/health/diet/calorie/weight.htm , Calorie content in food https://www.webindia123.com/health/diet/calorie/amount.htm, Calore to lose weight https://www.webindia123.com/health/diet/calorie/gain.htm

  Posted By :Admin , | On 26.5.2014
 2.  Posted on : 27.6.2013  By  :  akshay arora , Bareilly (u.p.) View Answer (1) Post Answer

My age is just 22 yrs. And i am having pain in my knee joints doctors said i am sufferin from arthiris/ortheoritis what can i do is their any treatment or not because they have told me that their is no treatment


Arthritis can be caused by many reasons which includes weight problems. Please consult a bbone specialist for further advise. You can too young to have chronic arthritis all your life. Good luck

  Posted By :Admin , | On 26.5.2014
 3.  Posted on : 11.9.2012  By  :  Saswajeet Routray , Kolkata View Answer (1) Post Answer

I am 32 years old and my wife is 30 now. Myself and my wife, both are suffering from joint pain from 5-6 months. A cracking sound also coming from the knees. Please let me know what to do.


Joint pain can be caused by many reasons.Over weight Oesteo porosis or born loss, arthritis, some febril illnesses are some of the causes. You are very young to ignore your joint pains. You should see an internist. He can examine you, order some blood test and give you a diagnosis. Good luck

  Posted By :Admin , Kochi | On 4.6.2013
» more...

Note : All statements given are only for information purpose. We are not responsible or liable for any problems related to the utilization of information on this site. We suggest that you consult a qualified doctor before trying any alternative health care remedies.