Education in the form of reading and writing was first
introduced in the area by the British. The initiative in spreading education was
taken by the Christian missionaries.
The first school in Mizoram was started by the
missionaries in Aizawl in 1897. Three Government primary schools were opened in
Aizawl in 1898. In 1903 the Government handed over the responsibility of primary
education entirely to the missionaries.
Spread of education in Mizoram was adversely affected
by the migratory habits of the Lushais.
Government's attention to education increased significantly after
independence. Earlier the efforts were mainly to increase primary
education. Quite a number of primary school were gradually upgraded to
middle and high school level. The number of educational institutions are
keeping pace with the thirst of the Mizos for formal education.