Aga Khan Palace or Gandhi National Memorial
Open 9am to 5.30 pm
Built by Imamsultan Muhammad Shah Agakhan
111 in 1892,the palace with its Italian arches is remarkable. In 1969
it was donated to India by Agakhan1V. Mahatma Gandhi and his wife Kasturba
Gandhi and other leaders were interned here by the British for nearly two
years after Gandhi delivered his Quit
India Resolution. An exhibition here details highlights of Gandhi's life
and career. The palace grounds has spacious lawns.
The Osho Commune International
Situated at 17 Koregaon Park, the Commune was founded by Osho Rajneesh,
one of India's most popular self proclaimed gurus. This Commune attracts
thousands of visitors each year who wish to take part in the meditation
courses organized by the Ashram. Osho died in 1990 and his samadhi is situated
in the Ashram. Facilities here include a swimming pool, sauna, massage and
beauty parlour, tennis and basketball courts. The commune has beautiful
gardens open to the public in the mornings and evenings.
Open 8 am to 6.30 pm
Built in 1736, the Shaniwar Wada was once the palace of the great
Peshwa rulers. The Fort was burnt down in a major fire in 1827, but the
massive walls still remain.
This memorial to the great warrior Mahadji Shinde, the commander-in-chief
of the Maratha army, between the years 1760 to 1780 under the mighty
is situated at Wanowrie.
The University Buildings of the University of Pune at Ganeshkhind, once
comprised the official residence of the Governor of Bombay Presidency during
the fierce annual monsoons of the coasts. A large building in the Italian
Gothic style, it has a 30 m high square tower, a swimming pool and manicured
Pataleshwar Cave Temples
Pataleshwar Cave Temples lies in the heart of the city, at Shivaji Nagar
on Jangali Maharaj road. This 8th century rock-cut temple, hewn from a
massive single rock, has huge pillars, a Shiva shrine and a Nandi bull.
Nearby is the Jangali Maharaj Temple dedicated to a Hindu ascetic.
Hill and Temples
This 17th century Parvathi temple lies on the southern outskirts of the
town on a hill top. The Parvati museum houses portraits of heroes of the
Peshwa dynasty, besides old manuscripts, weapons and coins. There are
also temples of Ganapati and Kartikeya.
Khunya Murlidhar Temple This Krishna temple in Sadashiv Peth was built
in 1797 by a famous merchant of the Peshwa regime, Dada Gadre. The radhakrishna
idol here is in marble. Omkareshwar Temple lies on the banks of the
Mutha river. Chaturshrungi Temple is situated on a hillock off Senapati
Bapat Road. This temple of the goddess attracts hundreds of devotees during
the nine-day Navaratri festival in October.
Lal Deval situated on Moledina Road was built by philanthropist David
Sassoon in 1867. The red-brick-and-stone structure built in the English
Gothic style, resembles a church.
Raja Dinkar Kelkar
Open 8.30 am - 5.30 pm
The exhibits here are the personal collection of Shri Dinkar Gangadhar.
It holds a one-man collection of around 17000 Indian artifacts collected
over 70 years. Thirty-six sections of this museum are used to display
antiques, Peshwa and other miniatures, carved palace doors, pottery, a
collection of lamps and musical instruments of the Mughal and Maratha
Museum of Arthropoda
Itís a museum of Natural History. The specific focus is on the joint
legged animals. This museum has most of the multi- legged varieties - lobsters,
prawns, crabs, worms, beetles and cockroaches too.
Open weekdays 10 am to 5 pm
Situated near the railway station, this museum documents the cultures
of Maharashtrian Tribal communities, especially those from the Sahyadri
and Gondwana region.
Tilak Smarak Mandir
Tilak Smarak Mandir on Tilak Road is a building commemorating the great
freedom fighter and social reformer Lokmanya Tilak. There is a small museum
on the ground floor describing Tilak's public life and a theatre on the
The home of the Kesari newspaper started by Late Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar
Tilak. The first Indian National flag unfurled by Madam Cama, and
many other documents are well preserved here.
Sarasbaug is a popular place for evening strolls where people throng every
evening, for their share of fresh air among green surroundings. Adjoining
Sarasbaug, across a small narrow road is another garden, Peshwe Park. There is a zoo here maintained by the Pune Municipal Corporation housing
a variety of beautiful species of wild animals. A toy-train ride, an elephant
ride and boating are special attractions. Saras Baug Ganesh temple is
also situated in Peshwa Park.
Bund Garden constructed by Sir Jamshedji Jeejeebhoy lies on the right bank
of the Mula Mutha river. There is boating facility and a well-designed jogging
track. Bund Garden is now known as the Mahatma Gandhi Udyan, the bridge
here crosses the river to the Gandhi National Memorial.
The Katraj Snake Park
The Katraj Snake Park has a collection of reptiles, birds and turtles. The
park has a zoo.
Empress Botanical Gardens
This Garden has fine tropical trees and a small zoo.
Situated in Pune district, Maharashtra; 110km from Mumbai and 56km from Pune,
the area in and around Kamshet, with its low hills, rocky terrain and flatlands
has scores of favourable sites with enough ridges just right for take off. Read