Vaishali, the birthplace of Lord Mahavira the greatest profounder
of Jainism, lies 56 km
north of Patna. It is also the place where Lord Buddha preached his last
sermon. The name Vaishali is derived from King Vishala, son of Surya Vansha mentioned in
the Epic Ramayana. It was one of the first cities in the world to adopt a
republican form of government during 6th century BC. More
details of Vaishali
It is at Kolhua, Vaishali. This pillar also known as Bhimsen-ki-Lathi
(stick), is a single piece with a height of 18.3 meters. This highly
polished pillar is built in red sandstone. It has a life size lion
carved on top.
Raja Vishala Ka Garh
This ruins occupies an area enclosed by a wall of about 1 meter long and
2 meters high. The ancient parliament house surrounded by a moat can hold
an assembly of 7,708 representatives is 43 meters wide. There is a 4th century temple
Chaumukhi Mahadeva (4
faced Lord Siva) here.
The Archaeological Museum
Archaeological Museum at
Vaishali includes terracottas, seals, coins, pottery and sculpture.
Entry - free, Opens from 1000 to 1700. Closed on Fridays.