1. Drain the chana dal and pressure cook along with salt and turmeric powder, half the chilli powder, half the garam masala powder, dried mango powder and three and a half cups of water till the pressure is released thrice (three whistles). Open the lid when the pressure is completely reduced.
2. Heat one tablespoon Nutralite in a small non-stick pan. Add the cumin seeds. When they begin to change colour, add the chillies, curry leaves, remaining garam masala powder and the remaining chilli powder. Stir and pour over the cooked gram, mix well and take the pan off the heat. Keep it covered.
3. To make the pakwan, sift together the maida and atta in a large bowl. Add the suji, cumin seeds, crushed peppercorns, Nutralite and salt. Add four tablespoons water and knead into a medium-soft dough.
4. Divide the dough into eight portions and roll each portion out into a disc of four-inch diameter. Prick lightly with a fork.
5. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai. Slide the pakwans, one by one, and deep-fry on medium heat till crisp. Drain on absorbent paper and cool.
6. Garnish the dal with the coriander leaves and serve with the pakwan.