Pondicherry, the capital of the territory was once the
original headquarters of the French in India. It was under the Fench rule
for 138 years and merged with the Indian Union on November 1954.
On 1st November 1954, France agreed to give up Pondicherry and the other three territories to the Indian government, and the Indian flag was hoisted for the first time in Pondicherry with a grand ceremony and 21 gun shots. Pondicherry's history took a new turn in 1963, when the 'Territory of Pondicherry' was created with Pondicherry, Karikal, Yanam and Mahé. It started the beginning of a new era in Pondicherry's glorious history.