Symptoms in babies
Water intoxication in babies can occur because of over dilution of formula and excessive free water by mouth. Symptoms include:
- - facial swelling or puffiness
- - irritability or drowsiness
- - drop in body temperature
- - in small children: fatigue, headache and confusion
- - History
- - Physical examination
- - Laboratory tests: measure of sodium, potassium, urine osmolality
- - Chest x-ray
- - Electrocardiogram
At home, restrict intake of water and salty foods. Diuretics can be given via mouth as well. Most patients require hospitalization.
Do not over hydrate. Specific attention should be paid when preparing baby’s formula. Water requirement is 8 glasses a day, and should be followed accordingly.