Gyanvapi Mosque, located around 5 km from the railway station near the
Kashi Vishawanath Temple or the Golden Temple was built by Mughal emperor
Aurangazeb. This well known mosque was built over the remnants of the
original Kashi Vishwanath temple. The mosque has constructed using the
material retrieve from the original temple, making it a curious blend
of Hindu and Muslim style of architecture. Only the old Kashi Vishvanath
temple wall has been retained as a part of the walls of the Gyanvapi mosque.
The major attraction of the mosque is its 71 m tall towering minarets,
above the Ganges and one of it was collapsed during a flood in 1948. These
minarets were built by using columns from the Bineswar temple. Only Muslims
are allowed to enter the mosque.