Saturday, September 18, 2021
Cities & Towns
search

read read read read read Gobindgarh Fort

Gobindgarh Fort

Previously known as Bhangian Da Killa, the Gobindgarh Fort located in the South-West of Amritsar was built in 1760 by the army of Gujjar Singh Bhangi of Misl (the 12th Sikh Guru). Later in 1805-09, it was rebuilt by Maharaja Ranjit Singh with the help of Jodh Singh and he strengthened the fortification of the fort in order to keep his treasures and treaties in safety.

Gobindgarh Fort was constructed with brick and lime on a square pattern with a parameter of 1500 square meter with two strong gates, four large bastions and well-defined rampart. The magnificent main entrance is called Nalwa Gate and the other gate known as Keelar Gate is said to have a connected with the tunnel of Lahore, which is used to escape from the enemies. There were 25 cannons on the ramparts and they are now replaced with modern weaponry. In the center of the fort there is a Toshakhana, which is specially constructed to store a huge amount of food and grains for the 12,000- army men.

After the annexation of Punjab, the fort was occupied by the British Army and they had added Darbar Hall, Hawa Mehal and Phansi Ghar (hanging place) to the fort. After separation, it offers a temporary protection to a large number of immigrants from Pakistan . The fort that occupies a unique place in Indian military history has been taken over by the Indian army in October 1948 and it is now under the administration of Indian Defense Force. In December 2006, the Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amrinder Singh had declared to open the fort for general public and tourists


  Nearby Attractions
›› Ram Bagh Garden
›› Hanuman Mandir
›› Durgiana Temple
›› Serai Amanat Khan
›› Pul Kanjari
›› Jallian Wala Bagh
 Picture Gallery
Post Reviews/ Comments
  Name :
  Place :
  Email :
  Review :
   
     

 

 

 

 City Map