Palakkad Fort, popularly known as Tippu's Fort, is one of the best preserved
forts in Kerala. This square shaped fort with walls of immense thickness
and strong bastions in all the four corners and in the middle, was built
in 1766 by Hyder Ali of Mysore and his son Tippu Sulthan. Situated in
the middle of the Palakkad Gap with an area of 15 acres, the fort was
re-modified by the British East India company in 1790 and now it is protected
by the Archeological Survey of India.
Within the spacious fort maidan, there is a Hanuman temple which is believed
to be as old as the fort, a sub-jail, a martyr's column, an open air auditorium
called Rappadi and a tourism information centre of the District Tourism
Promotion Council. There is also a children's traffic park nearby.