Sunday, March 29, 2020
Cities & Towns
search

read read read read read St. Angelo Fort

St. Angelo Fort

St. Angelo Fort is located 3 km from Kannur on the coast of the Arabian sea. The fort is separated by a strong sea wall from the sea and behind the fort, there is a pathway stretching a kilometer or two into the sea. This laterite fort was constructed in 1505 AD by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeida with the consent of the ruling Kolathiri Raja. After changing hands from the Portuguese to the Dutch, and then to the Ali Raja of Arakkal and finally to the English, the fort became one of the important military centres of the British in Malabar. The barracks, the arsenal, cannons and the ruins of a chapel are all standing testimony of history on the sea shore. St Angelo's fort, more commonly known as 'Kannur Kota' (Kannur Fort), is now under the supervision of the Archaeological Survey of India. 

St. Angelo Fort has a triangular shape and features adjoining citadels and a moat. It is said that there is a secret underground tunnel 21 km long inside the fort which connects Kannur Fort to the Thalassery Fort. This tunnel was used by the soldiers to escape from the attack of enemies. Facing the Arabian sea, the fort gives an excellent view the Moppila Bay, a natural fishing harbour and the Dharmadam Island sprawling in an area of 5 acres located in the Arabian sea at a distance of 100 meters from the shore. Tourists are permitted to enter the fort every day between 8 am to 6 pm.


  Nearby Attractions
›› Arakkal Museum
›› Dharmadam Island
›› Muzhapilangad Beach
›› Anjarakandy
›› Ezhimala
›› Gymnastic Center
 Picture Gallery
Post Reviews/ Comments
  Name :
  Place :
  Email :
  Review :
   
     

 

 

 

 City Map