KRS dam, built in 1932, is located 12 kms north-west of Mysore. The project
was designed by the farsighted engineer Sir M. Vishweswaraiah and constructed
during the rule of Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV. The dam is around 8600 feet
long and 130 feet high with a reservoir spread over an area of 130 sq.kms.
It represents a marvel of civil engineering achievement in pre-independence
India and was among the first in the world to use automatic sluice gates.
There is a boating pond to cross the dam from the south bank to the north
bank and at the northern edge are the dancing fountains. The beautiful
terraced Brindavan Gardens is located just below the KRS dam.