Thursday, October 28, 2021
Cities & Towns
search

read read read read read Tipu's Summer Palace and Fort

Tipu's Summer Palace and Fort
 

The architecture, the layout and the overall look of Tipu Sultan fort and palace offer a glimpse of the ethnic Mughal lifestyle in the past. Located opposite the city market, Tipu Sultan fort can be entered through the southern, Mysore gate which is still intact, from K R Road, or from the Vani Vilas Hospital side. Noted for its beautifully carved arches in Indo-Islamic style, Tipu's fort was originally a mud fort built by a feudal lord Kempe Gowda in 1537. Later an extension was made by Chikkadevaraya Wodeyar of Mysore. It was again extended and fortified by Hyder ali, Tipu Sultan's father. There is an ancient Ganesha Temple, a little beyond the entrance to the fort with a fine statue of Lord Ganesha and a beautiful carving of Sri Krishna playing the flute. There are some interesting reliefs on the walls of the fort and a white memorial tablet is found on the outer wall opposite the Kote Anjaneya Temple. Now only parts of the fort remain. It opens to the public from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m

Tipu's palace is situated near the fort, at Albert Victor Road. Though the construction of this 2- storeyed wooden palace was started by Hyder Ali, it was completed by Tipu Sultan in 1791. Known as the 'Abode of Peace', the palace built in the18th century, was one of Tipu Sultan's summer retreats. The structure is similar to the Daria Daulat palace of Srirangapatnam.

The walls and ceilings of the palace is beautifully decorated with floral motifs and the pillars, connected by scalloped arches, painted in brilliant colours. The walls in front of the entrances to the east and west halls have square projecting balconies which is supposed to have been introduced for the seat of state from where Tipu Sultan held the durbar. In the quadrant there is a Ganesha Temple that popularly depicts and represents Tipu Sultan's religious tolerance. There are fountains in front of each face of the palace and it also has a well maintained garden.

After Tipu's death, British used the palace building as their secretariat till 1867. Converted to a museum, the palace was opened to public in 2005. Besides the delicate carving and paintings, it houses an art gallery of nearly a thousand historical photos and artifacts of Hyder Ali, Tipu Sultan and other famous personalities. There is an entry fee to the palace and the visiting hours is from 10am to 6pm. It is closed on all Sundays. 


  Nearby Attractions
›› Venkataramanaswamy Temple
›› Jumma Masjid
›› Vidhan Soudha
›› Vikas Soudha
›› Attara Kacheri
›› Gandhi Bhavan
 Picture Gallery
Post Reviews/ Comments
  Name :
  Place :
  Email :
  Review :
   
     

 

 

 

 City Map