The elegant Safa Masjid is located in Shahpur district which lies at a
distance of 2kms west of Ponda. Built in 1560 by Ibrahim Adil Shah, the
Sultan of Bijapur, it is one of the only two sixteenth-century Islamic
monuments which managed to survive the excesses of the Portuguese reign.
The rectangular prayer hall of the mosque rests above a high base and
the walls are decorated with graceful Islamic arches. The masonry tank
with beautiful 'maharab' designs is located to the south of the prayer