Sunday, March 26, 2023
Cities & Towns

read read read read read Old Goa

Old Goa


bom-jesus.jpgThe Old Goa is 8 Kms from Panaji. It is regarded as the spiritual heart of the territory, with its imposing churches and cathedrals. St. Francis Xavier was here in mid 16th century. The old Portuguese churches are the main attraction at Old Goa. 

The Basilica of Bom Jesus (1594)
It is a fine example of Jesuit architecture and has emerged as a landmark in the history of Christianity. It is a world renowned church which contains the body of St. Francis Xavier. The saint, was a pupil of the soldier- turned - saint, Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Order of Jesuits.

Se Cathedral

The Se Cathedral is dedicated to St.Catherine of Alexandria. Built between 1562 - 1619, it is the largest church in Old Goa and the largest in Asia with a barrel vaulted ceiling. There are four chapels on each side of the church. On the right St. Antony and  St. Bernard, the Holy Spirit and the Cross of Miracles. On the left the Blessed Sacrament and Nossa Senora de Boa Vida. The main altar has paintings and is superbly gilded. There is a tower with a huge bell called the Golden Bell. 

Church of St. Cajetan

The church of St.Cajetan (1665) is built by the Italian friars of the Theatine order. They were send to India by Pope Urban III. The church is shaped like a Greek cross. It was  modeled on the design of St. Peter's in Rome.

Church of St Francis of Assisi

The Church of St Francis of Assisi is a broad vault of a church with two octagonal towers. The high altar is decorated with painting  on wood depicting scenes from St. Francis' life. The floor is made of carved grave stones. There is a convent at the back of the church started in 1517 by Franciscan friars.  It has the Portuguese Gothic style.

Archaeological Museum and Portrait Gallery

It is at the Convent of St. Francis of Assisi, Old Goa. Entry - free.  It has the collection of sculptures covering the period before the arrival of the Portuguese. The portraits of  Portuguese Governors are placed on the first floor which provides an interesting study in the evolution of court dresses. Visit : 1000 - 1200, 1300 - 1700, closed on Friday.

 Picture Gallery
Post Reviews/ Comments
  Name :
  Place :
  Email :
  Review :




 City Map