This was, till the mid - 19th century, the
place of residence for the junior servants (who were called writers of
the East India Company). The original building was constructed in 1770
on the same site as the present one, but it was plain stuccoes and with
no pretensions to architectural beauty. The present Gothic structure built
during the tenure of Lt. Governor Ashley Eden (1877) is much more imposing
than the original ever was. Situated at the northern end of Dalhousie
Square, it now houses the Secretariat of West Bengal Government.