Sunday, September 19, 2021
Cities & Towns
search

read read read read read Fort William

Fort William
 

Fort William is situated on the east bank of the river Hooghly and was named after King William III of England. It is surrounded by a 50ft high moat.  It was built in 1757 after Robert Clive's victory at Plassey over Siraj ud-Daula. This fort was completed to prevent attacks from Muslim invaders. The fort walls, barracks, stables and the church of St. Peter are still intact. The area cleared around Fort William became the Maidan. In the fort, there is a church, market, post and telegraph office, cinema, swimming pool, boxing stadium, football and firing range. The Arsenal inside is worth visiting for which a prior permission is required from the Commanding Officer.

Contact :
47 48 R N Roychow Ghat Road, Shibpur- 711102
Phone : 033-26605594


  Nearby Attractions
›› Howrah Bridge
›› Belur Math and Shrine
›› Victoria Memorial
›› South Park Street Cemetery
›› Marble Palace
›› Dalhousie Square
 Picture Gallery
Post Reviews/ Comments
  Name :
  Place :
  Email :
  Review :
   
     

 

 

 

 City Map