Monday, October 19, 2020
Cities & Towns
search

read read read read read Mecca Masjid

Mecca Masjid

mecca-masjid.jpg

The grand Mecca Masjid, located adjacent to the Charminar is the oldest and largest mosque in the twin city. Even though the construction of this majestic and imposing structure was started in 1617 by the 6th Sultan Mohammad Quli Qutub Shah, it was completed by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb only in 1694. The hall of the masjid measuring 67 meters long, 54 meters wide and 23 meters high can accommodate nearly ten thousand worshippers at a time. The roof is supported by 15 graceful arches. The octagonal columns on either side of the mosque and the stately entrance arches are made up of single slabs of granite. Inscriptions from the holy Quran have been intricately depicted on many of the arches and doors. It is believed that bricks brought from Mecca were implanted in the walls of the central arch and hence the name Mecca Masjid.

In the courtyard of the mosque, there is a beautiful man-made pond of bluish water, flanked by two stone and slab seats. The masjid also houses many ancient and sacred relics, one of which is the hair of Prophet Mohammed. Towards the southern end of the mosque lie the marble tombs of members of the Asaf Jahi dynasty.


  Nearby Attractions
›› Ramoji Film City
›› Charminar
›› Falaknuma Palace
›› Birla Science Centre
›› Birla Mandir
›› Gandipet Lake
 Picture Gallery
Post Reviews/ Comments
  Name :
  Place :
  Email :
  Review :
   
     

 

 

 

 City Map