One of the largest mosques in Kozhikode, Mishkal Masjid (also spells as
Mithqal) alias Mithqalpalli is named after its founder Nakhuda Mithqali,
who was a local trader in the 14th century, during the time of Ibn Battuta.
Located two kilometers from the city at the back of Kuttichira tank, it
is the oldest mosques in Malabar. This four storeyed structure supported
by 24 wooden pillars was built over 700 years ago and proudly proclaims
the architectural splendour of yester years. Though the Portuguese burnt
the mosque in 1510, it was reconstructed later in 1578, but one could
still see the burnt portions. Mithqal mosque is a symbol of peace and
unity as one could enter here despite of his caste and social status.