Tuesday, March 31, 2020
Cities & Towns
search

read read read read read Kaduthuruthy Valiapally

Kaduthuruthy Valiapally

The Kaduthuruthy Valiapally is situated between Ettumanoor and vaikom at MC Road in Kaduthuruthi, around 26kms north of Kottayam. Believed to be built in 500 AD, the church has a big cross at the entrance which is molded out of a single stone. 


 Picture Gallery
Post Reviews/ Comments
  Name :
  Place :
  Email :
  Review :
   
     

 

 

 

 City Map
 
     
 
Read Review / Comment
  By :  Liju Jose smiley
  Jul 17, 2012 3:00:59 PM | Kaduthuruthy Reply to this Comment/ Review
 
Kaduthuruthy Valiya Palli(കടുത്തുരുത്തി വലിയ പളളി)/St. Mary’s Forane Church of Knanaya Community was established in AD 400. The history of this church is manifested with the history of the Knanaya community or the Jewish Christians known as Southists/തെക്കംഭാഗര്‍ now a day’s termed as Knanites(ക്നാനായക്കാര്‍), migrated from the Mesopotamian region (East Syrian Church) to the Malabar costal port of Cranganore/Muziris(present Kodungallur/കൊടുങ്ങല്ലൂര്‍ in Trissur district)). The historical migration from the East Syrian Church took place in AD 345 under the leadership of prominent Knanaya merchant Thomas of Kana/Knai Thomman/Thomman Keenan(തൊമ്മ൯ കീനാൻ) as described in the Knanaya purathana pattukal(പുരാതന പാട്ടുകൾ). They were consisting of 72 Jewish Christian Families of 7 Clans with a total of 400 people including men, women, children’s and Mar Joseph of Uraha(Edessa), 4-Priests and some Deacons. They sailed in 3 ships from the port of Edessa with a leading ship called Babylonia flew the flag of King David on her main mast as they hailed from the southern provinces of Israel, known in the Old Testament as Kingdom of Judah. Knai Thoma and his people were heartily welcomed by Cheraman Perumal(ചേരമാൻ പെരുമാൾ), the king of Chera Dynasty at that time. The king honoured Knai Thoma and his people by calling as “Son of King”(രാജമക്കൾ) by considering their Jewish origin from the Kingdom of Judah and thereby in the linage of King David. With this background Knai Thoma and his people were given permission to settle down in Kodungallur and granted 72 princely privileges to Knai Thoma and his peoples and all of his descendents as long as the sun and moon exist, there by elevated them over 17 castes. This proclamation was made on Saturday in March (Kumbham 29) 345 and the event was inscribed on Copper Plates(Knai Thomman Cheppedu) given to Knai Thoma. Knai Thoma was called as “Co-Cherakon Thoma” which means the “Minister of Cheraman Perumal” (ചേര രാജാവിന്റെ പ്രഭു). They settled down in the southern part of Kodungallur where the king granted land and built a town in the name of “Mahadevar Pattanam”(മഹാദേവ൪ പട്ടണം) which means the “City of Superiors” with 72 houses, gardens, paths, inner yards and boundaries with their enclosures. Hence they established a colony in Kodungallur with three churches in the name of St. Thomas, St. Kuriakose, and the third one is in the name of Our Lady surrounded by a fort. Later many of the Knanites moved to the places like Kaduthuruthy, Udayamperur, Kottayam, Chungam and Kallissery which are accessible through sea route for engaging in trade and business. In 1524 the churches and the buildings built by Knai Thoma and his successors were destroyed during the battle between Kozhikode (Calicut) and Cochin. The city of Cranganore was burned in 1524 by the Muslims, the Knanites had to flee from the place with their family and belongings and they shifted their residence to the places like Kaduthuruthy, Udayamperur, Kottayam, Chungam and Kallissery. Before leaving the place they took a little bit of ash of the burnt city and kept with them. This shows the inspiration, unity, love and affection to their forefathers, the churches built by them and to the land where their ancestors buried. Eventually majority of the Knanites settled down in Kaduthuruthy where there brothers established a colony with a church long before starting from fourth century. The name Kaduthuruthy (കടുത്തുരുത്തി) originated from a Malayalam world ‘Kadal thuruth’(കടൽ തുരുത്ത്) meaning near to the beach as it is believed that several centuries ago, the Arabian Sea extended inward into the place. The first “Sandesh Kavyam” (Message written in Poetry) in Malayalam called "Unnuneeli Sandesham" gives an insight view into the history of the place. The author is one of the member of Vdakkumkur Royal Family. It describes the grand harbour of the town in great detail, something amazing as the sea is several miles away now. The sea is said to have receded sometime in the 14th century possibly followed by an earthquake or a Tsunami. Kaduthuruthy was one of the very famous ports for trade and commercial center in ancient days and it was the capital city of Vadakkumkur Kingdom. Since most of the Knanites were fine turned soldiers and merchants interested in welfare of the Kingdom, The King of Vadakkumkur was very pleased with the arrival of Knanites to Kaduthuruthy. The present St. Mary’s Forane Church is the third building there, built on the land allotted by the King of Vadakkumkur in 1556 as mentioned in the song of this church. Thus they built the present church with all its artistic splendour and characteristics of Gothic Art, to proclaim and celebrate the gospel of Jesus Christ in worship and value the heritage of biblical faith, tradition, liturgy and the rich variety of customs and tradition in Knanaya Community guided by the forefathers. The architecture of this church is very famous. The altar of this church shows the excellence to which altar carving has ever reached. This is one of the very few church which have conserved some elements of Pre-Portuguese church architecture. It is believed that the highest open air single stone cross of Asia is in the courtyard of this church, where the famous “Purathu Namaskaram”( പുറത്തു നമസ്കാരം) is conducting. This cross was blessed on the Holy Friday of 1599 by Goa Bishop Dom Menesis. There are many art works performed on the base of this cross. On first Friday of every month and other important feasts devotees offer coconut oil in the lamps provided which is surrounded by the base of the cross. Many historical events took place in this church. Bishop Mar Chandy Parambil(Bishop Alexander de Campo), the first native bishop for St. Thomas Christians was consecrated as bishop in this church. He was ordained by a Carmelite bishop Mar Joseph Sebastiani with a tittle of Bishop Megara in Achala on 1663 Jan 31. Valiya Pally's St. Mary is known as Muthiyamma(മുത്തിയമ്മ). Moonnu Noyambu(മൂന്നു നോയമ്പ്) (three-day lent) is the main feast of this church and is celebrated 18 days prior to the beginning of 50 day lent. Purathu Namaskaram near the Stone Cross is a famous liturgical celebration of this church during the Moonnu Noyambu feast. Many pilgrims visit this church and offering prayers during Moonnu Noyambu thirunal. Ettu Noyambu i.e. Birth day of St. Mary( 8 September) is also an important feast of this church. 40 Hours Holy Adoration is also conducted every year in this church. Mar Kuriakose Kunnachery, the former Archbishop of Kottayam, is from this parish. This church belongs to the Archdiocese of Kottayam and is considered as the Head Church(തലപ്പള്ളി) for both knanaya Catholics and Knanaya Jacobits.