Cheriyapally, one of the oldest churches in Kerala located close to Valiyapally,
was built and consecrated by Portuguese in 1579. Cheriyapally which literally
means small church is in fact much bigger than Valiyapally (big church)
. Devoted to Mother Mary, the church was built in European style of architectural
with galleries, pillars, cornices and pediments. The structure of the
church is a combination Christian and the Hindu architectural design.
The walls are adorned with beautiful murals made in oriented and western
styles and the ceilings have exquisite vegetable dye paintings depicting
biblical and non-biblical themes.