Monday, July 13, 2020
Cities & Towns
search

read read read read read Krishnapuram Palace and Archaeological Museum

Krishnapuram Palace and Archaeological Museum

krishnapuram-palace.jpg

Located 47km from Alappuzha at Krishnapuram in Kayamkulam, on the way to Kollam, the18th century Krishnapuram palace was built during the reign of the Travancore king Anizham Thirunal Marthanda Varma (1729-1758 AD). The palace situated in an area of 2.55 acres of land, is a double storied structure in typical Kerala style architecture with gabled roof, dorm windows and narrow corridors. An archeological museum is set up in the palace which displays antique sculptures in stone, wood and bronze, coins, copies of paintings and inscriptions. The most famous among the exhibits is the mural 'Gajendramoksha' (salvation of the king of elephants), which is one of the largest single panel mural paintings so far discovered in Kerala. This18th century mural spread over 49 sq meters depicting the sequence of an elephant saluting Lord Vishnu in devotion and celestial beings in the background, is kept at the western end on the ground floor of the palace. The palace complex has a beautiful garden and a Buddha Mandapa. The palace, once the residence of the rulers of Kayamkulam kingdom is now maintained by the Kerala State Department of Archaeology. The Krishnaswamy Temple is located nearby on the left side of the National Highway between Ochira and Kayamkulam at a distance of 2km from Kayamkulam bus stand and 3km from the Kayamkulam railway station. Photography is prohibited inside the museum.


  Nearby Attractions
›› Muppalam
›› Buddha Statue
›› Champakulam
›› Karumadi
›› Kumarakodi
›› Q S T and R-Block
 Picture Gallery
Post Reviews/ Comments
  Name :
  Place :
  Email :
  Review :
   
     

 

 

 

 City Map