The remnants of the St. Augustine tower and church located atop the Holy
Hill in Old Goa is one among the most spectacular monuments in Goa. Both
the church and the tower were built in 1602 by the Augustinian missionaries.
The 46km high tower that served as a belfry is a part of the facade of
the magnificent St. Augustine Church which was abandoned in 1835. In 1871,
the huge bell of the tower was moved to the Church of our Lady of the
Immaculate Conception. The Church of St Augustine, when it was intact,
was supposed to be the biggest in Goa. There were eight richly carved
chapels and four altars and a convent with numerous cells and artistic
columns attached to the church.